Meet potential Green Party gov candidate Paul Glover

230008_10150252646862848_616330_n

Image: Facebook

Pennsylvania’s next governor could ban fracking all together. That governor could enact a more progressive income tax and shift funds from prisons to education; expand solar tax credits and attempt to enact local, community currencies. That governor could be a person who once walked from the United States’ east coast to its west coast to write a book.

Meet Paul Glover. He’s a former Temple professor residing in Northwest Philly who’s interested in jumping into the mix on the Green Party ticket. Already an activist in Philadelphia, he tells me Green Party candidacies are still relevant in Pennsylvania, as a means to introduce new ideas.

I spoke with Glover about some of those plans and what he’d try to do as governor of Pennsylvania if he ever got the chance.

You’re not officially running for governor, yet. Are you going to do it?

Pennsylvania Green Party leaders have invited me to consider candidacy.  I’ve said yes, if funds can be raised for a web-based campaign plus related travel.  The final decision would be made by the Party at its March 2014 convention.

Why would someone like you want to be governor of Pennsylvania?

Apparently I’d be the only candidate seeking to ban fracking; to reduce the power of commercial banks; to require that public education be nonprofit; to cancel college student debt; to curb Homeland Security, NDAA, ICE and the NSA; to replace agribusiness with smaller farms; promote regional economies rather than global corporations; enact a progressive income tax.

My budget would shift resources from prisons to education.  Curriculum reform is required at the same time, to teach community management and social enterprise rather than corporate servitude.

We can create a half million new jobs in Pennsylvania without raising taxes, through mutual aid programs such as I describe in my book “Green Jobs Philly.” This is a non-profit, non-governmental WPA.  I’d call it the Green Labor Administration.

A green budget would shift from nuclear and coal to efficiency.  PennFuture’s study claims Pennsylvania has provided $2.9 billion in subsidies to “fossil fuel industries,” mainly as tax exemptions.

I’d seek to expand solar tax credits, create a State bank and regional stock exchanges that are dedicated to green economies.

Would likewise shift from highways to transit and rail.  Fix the bridges and potholes, but make green travel easy.

And would shift from pampering insurance companies to promoting regional health co-ops.

I’ve emphasized that the Republican party is no longer the party of Lincoln, and that the Democratic party is no longer the party of FDR.  They’re both owned by the highest bidder, increasingly by foreign investors.

When conservatives don’t conserve and liberals don’t liberate, Greens become centrists, because we address central needs for affordable housing, medical care, dignified work, healthy food and water.

A Green party candidate has never won statewide here. Do you honestly think you—or any Green—could win?

As I see it, third parties win without winning elections.  Here’s how.

1)  Third parties offer bold solutions.  They’re not cautious and poll-driven.  For example, Social Security, ending of slavery, votes for women, unemployment insurance, etc.were first pushed by third parties.

2)  Third parties pressure major parties to adopt new platforms.  Regardless what we think of the Tea Party, they had the courage to risk Republican defeats to push the Republicans to the right.  There is seldom such courage on the political left.

3)  Third parties often serve constituents who are not yet born.  They are the first to raise unpopular questions about global warming, population increase, consumerism, and war.

4) Third parties become mainstream parties by losing, losing, losing, until they win.

You’re an advocate of community enrichment through local currency. How could that work, and how local are you talking?

Pennsylvania doesn’t have a budget problem, we have an imagination problem.  Money is just an agreement to trust tokens of trade.  Therefore, any network of people can create the money they need.  Pennsylvania and Philadelphia have thousands of trustworthy networks that could exchange local and regional cash.  So, for example, I’ve proposed Philadelphia ArtCash for the creative economy and MediCash for the Patch Adams clinic.  We already have Equal Dollars here.

Local currency stimulates local programs that seek grassroots control of land, law and money.

Wouldn’t local currency actually hurt the value of the dollar?

The strength of national currencies depends ultimately on the vitality of village and neighborhood economies, just as our lungs depend on millions of tiny air sacs.  Currently, dollars are in debt to nature, backed no longer by gold or silver but by trillions of national debt.  I believe that labor is the new gold standard– money backed by real people, real skills, real goods.

You’re working on opening a Patch Adams Free Clinic in Philadelphia. How is that going?

We’ve found hundreds of people eager to build and operate the clinic.  Right now we’re focused on raising funds to purchase 5 acres in North Philadelphia.  We’d then rely on sweat equity and in-kind donations to build, equip and staff.  It’s to be a co-op: we’re moving beyond charity to ownership.

What would you do to change the new health care law in Pennsylvania, if you were governor?

Medicare can be expanded to everyone without raising taxes, by building a genuinely nonprofit member-owned medical infrastructure.  In 1997 I started a member-owned health plan in Ithaca, NY, whose members paid $100 per year to be covered for an ever-expanding range of common emergencies.  The group now has its own free clinic. I’ve drafted legislation to enable this to happen in Pennsylvania.

Such nonprofit plans remove corporate greed from health care, whether HMOs of Obamacare.  So I also support the proposed Pennsylvania single-payer law.

I’d end the revolving door between insurance regulation and insurers.  I’ve written the book “A Crime Not a Crisis” detailing this corruption.

Based on previous elections, the Democratic party will probably try to get you knocked off the ballot—assuming you run. What’s the game plan to fight back, whether it’s you or another member of the Green party?

Our party will defend any package of signatures filed. The manner of that defense is determined by the Green Party of Pennsylvania.

The Green Party endorses the Voters’ Choice Act, which makes it easier for third parties to gain ballot status.

We’ll invite the Republican party to revive our republic, and the Democratic party to embrace democracy.

Lastly, you walked across the United States on foot in 1978. Why did you do that?

Green cities have been my passion for 35 years.  By age 30 I had read many books and written many articles, so the time came for primary research into America’s people and land.  This walk gave me time to think deeply, undisturbed by anything normal.  When I reached Los Angeles, 3,400 miles later, I wrote the book “Los Angeles: A History of the Future” and started the organization Citizen Planners of Los Angeles.

I’d note that 300 miles of my route crossed Pennsylvania, from Delaware Water Gap to the SW corner. Lots of friendly people and bears out there.

Follow @RandyLoBasso on Twitter

13 Responses to “ Meet potential Green Party gov candidate Paul Glover ”

1. Thank you for the Green Party article on potential Green Party governor candidate Professor Paul Glover. The Green Party and Dr. Glover are right we need the Green New Deal. Solar Jobs. Wind Jobs. Geothermal Jobs. Weatherization Jobs. Rail Jobs. The Green Party Eco for the economy makes money and sense. The Green Party’s pragmatic, fiscally conservative solutions for cutting wasteful military spending, and installing an auditable accounting system at the pentagon are overdue. Here’s wishing Paul Glover and the Green Party great success!

2. Tina McCafferty says:

Thank you, Paul Glover! Thank you for giving us the option to vote for a governor that is actually concerned for its citizens, environment, and the future. You have my vote!

3. Alex says:

Please don’t run. You know that every vote you get will be one less a Democrat gets.

These statewide elections are often very close – if you get 10,000 votes and Corbett wins and you’re the reason why, how would you feel?

If you really care about the future of your state you won’t run.

4. Jay Sweeney says:

Alex, don’t play that game. We need more choice not less. Ed Rendell, a Democrat, invited the oil & gas industry into Pennsylvania. He leased state forest land for gas development. He proclaimed himself the gas industy’s “biggest cheerleader”. Many of us refuse to vote for candidates who do not put our interests, including protecting our water, health and civil liberties, before the corporate bottom line.

The issues and solutions Paul Glover talks about in this article need to be addressed. Run Paul run!

5. steventodd says:

“I’d be the only candidate seeking to ban fracking”

Will it be enough to make Dem candidates sit up and listen? I hope so.

Whatever the answer, don’t fall for the old “but this one is close, so you can’t” trick. That is used by both parties to stifle significant debate on major issues. Fracking is arguably the biggest statewide issue. The Dem party has adopted a fracking moratorium (not ban), and done so by a comfortable margin in open Committee. There is only one Dem candidate who has said they would abide it, and Max Myers is unelectable in a Dem Primary. If Paul’s running makes our comfortable candidates at least come back to the table on this very key issue, then he is to be saluted for that, as much as Bob Guzzardi is for challenging Corbett in the R Primary. More choices is better than one or two. Always, always. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

6. Tina McCafferty says:

Pa. Is overdue for a multiparty race. And, considering the fact that no viable Democratic candidate is in support of banning fracking, the Green Party stands to take this election.

7. The GREEN party of NW Philadelphia has a great chance of taking out the ruling and corrupt Democratic Party of Philadelphia, when a contaminated piece of land in a residential neighborhood was dug up and their neighbor was made permanently ill from haz mat and years of hate crimes launched by City Council and the politically connected business leaders of the neighborhood who had an interest in the site and covered up and joined in the hate crimes toward me, the neighbor, whose home was 4 ft away and made unsafe. The leader of the 9th Ward Democratic Committee set up the residential project that was found to be deeply contaminated. The attorney to Council Woman Marion Tasco, Derek Green and then Ward Leader Vernon Price- who is now staff at the District Attorney’s office pitched the project at Planning and Zoning. Elected official sat at the Zoning table with a contractor who had already proven that he wrecked projects and made money “disappear.” The E. Penn project. The core basis of Zoning code and ethics is to NOT harm the neighbors. Demolition was done without permits and zero dust or safety for the neighbor. Brick mortar and cement dust is full of asbestos and silica. Plus there was a known history of chemical dumping into this source spring area of the Wingohocking. When excavation without permits released chemical vapors I got even more sick. Finally I was forced in the middle of the night to go to ER for breathing treatment and told to vacate house which was essentially surrounded by this criminally developed project. A woman I knew took me in and I live there for nearly a year. Since 2006, I have been displaced many times and I cough to this day and am still the target of hate crimes and civil rights violations and burglarized at least a dozen times. too many to remember. Official papers in the city have been changed and disappeared, but I have many. I went to the Green Party for help. Paul Glover moved into the same room I had lived in during the first part of my displacement. The City has repeatedly tried to get rid of me by Political Psychiatric Abuse which is the 1st line of retaliation against whistleblowers across the country and in history and is a crime. In 2006 and 2011, City officials from Planning, Zoning and Deputy Mayor Alan Greenburger were given 1st rate Demolition Safety and Health Protocol by Baltimore. The City knew they were harming me for years and harming others by their failure to adhere to safety in construction and they ignore the Baltimore Protocol. If they had not ignored that Protocol or the harm done to me , the deaths at the June 5, 2013 Demolition accident would not have happened. Director of Community Planning Richard Redding wrote that the City Council Woman Donna Reed Miller’s office had ” engineered a conspiracy” against me. After the 1st time I was in hospital for haz mat exposure, contaminated top soil was illegally removed from the site next to my house without informing the neighbors or setting up safety measures. The PADEP and Rendell and Mayor and every department in the City of Philadelphia and all the NW Community Groups and even Interfaith communities allowed this crime and attacked me while I was ill and displaced, due to the deep political connections and cronyism. The District Attorney colluded with both environmental crimes and years of hate crimes toward me. Paul Glover nor the Green party of Philadelphia stepped up on the side of Environmental Justice and Civil rights and their silence added fuel to making me a free target of extreme abuse and loss of home and much more. If they had been smart, instead of going along with the rumors and lies and cover up, they would have shown strength, taken down a deeply corrupt system in Philadelphia and walked their talk. Those people at Market Street would not be dead, nor the woman who drowned in the East Germantown Flood in 2011 as explained by environmental engineered Kelly- who showed how building on top of the Wingohocking area next to my house caused flooding. The flood issue was one that I repeatedly brought up to the city, but they were too busy trying to find ways to kill me off to listen, so other people died. The Green Party needs to stop holding up protest signs in banks and expose the corruption in the ruling political system to show it has any muscle and stands by it’s principles. You will start to win, when you take down your opposition and stop colluding with it. Man up.

8. Eric Hamell says:

Alex, you gratuitously assume the Democratic Party owns the progressive vote. No one owns the progressive vote. Progressive groups are still looking at the various candidates. If they judge that Paul represents their interests better than any of the Democratic contenders, they could endorse him — which would make *him* the most credible challenger to Tom Corbett, and oblige the *other* candidates to withdraw to avoid being “spoilers.”

9. [...] outlined 4 ways “third parties win without winning elections”. Read the full interview here. Share this: This entry was posted in Green Party on December 31, 2013 by Jed [...]

10. RichardKane says:

Wikipedia Links on Paul Glover, Check out the links,

This is a concise short one,

11. George Miller says:

“I’d be the only candidate seeking to ban fracking”

Actually Independent Candidate for Governor Jonathan Jewell is also against fracking and wants to ban it immediately in PA.

12. steve says:

I’v read some concern in the comments that paul glover might cause the democrats to loose PA. When there currently is not a democrat who wants to stop the poisoning of the PA watershed i have little interest for voting for any of them.

Paul Glover presence creates an alternative which pushes democrats to be more progressive. To the democrats, I ask what kind of victory would it be if you voted for a democrat that allowed poisoning of the water you and your children’s children would be drinking and then allowed a kings ransom for the healthcare necessary to treat the health problems that you couldn’t pay because the green industry that could have gave you jobs never got off to a start.

I think we’re in deep doodoo and we need someone proposing real solutions, not a 10% tax on frackers some democrat proposed. Is that really the price you’ll charge for polluting your water?