Johnny Depp’s lazy eye

madhatter_1700

I don’t think I’d consciously noticed that what was particularly creepy about the promo shot of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter is that he somehow has a lazy eye. It’s probably that way via digital manipulation, because I don’t think that actors can just give themselves lazy eyes the same way they can put on 40 pounds to play Bridget Jones, and when googling “Johnny Depp lazy eye” the only relevant thing that came up was from the accurately named yahoo answers, which… I’m just going to give you a screenshot so you don’t have to click through the link and be sucked into the black hole of inanity:

Screen shot 2010-02-18 at 10.21.48 AM

I noticed this cropping the photo to just his eyes, which I was doing because Disney, which always has a creepily accurate eye on their audience, called up Urban Decay and had them do a set of eyeshadows to match some of the shades in the movie.

urbandecay
So yes, I’m sure this is going to sell like mad, because the girls who like Tim Burton and girls who buy Urban Decay have a fairly large Venn diagram overlap. There’s a kind of neat New York Times article on Disney’s licensing partnerships with beauty companies, which is something that they started doing pretty recently.

Doesn’t look like they included the white mascara, though. Or lazy-eye contacts (think how much more funny the world could be if those exsisted).

emily g | Feb 18 2010 10:17am | BEAUTY, alice in wonderland, johnny depp, lazy eyes | Comments 9

Avi  says:

The Mad Hatter’s eyes were enlarged making them between 10 and 15 percent bigger than Johnny Depp’s own.

Feb 18 1:03 PM

muriel  says:

yes he does have a lazy eye, but they are beautifully brown,hhhmmm.

Feb 19 6:22 PM

muriel  says:

sorry i didn’t remember, i’am in love, what can i say?

Feb 19 6:24 PM

jindalee  says:

He’s always had a lazy eye. That’s nothing new. Some of the Captain Jack Sparrow pics were really wild!

Feb 19 7:52 PM

THE CURATOR: RDJ in Ray-Bans, RuPaul withdrawl and Johnny Depp’s lazy eye :: Critical Mass :: A&E Blog :: Philadelphia City Paper  says:

[...] old adage, “You learn something new everyday,” was never more true thanks to PW Style. Like, did you know that Johnny Depp has a lazy eye? File that under “flaws that only men can pull off and still be sexy,” along with peg legs and [...]

Feb 23 3:02 PM

Darlah  says:

He recently said he couldn’t appreciate Alice in Wonderland because of a “disability in my left eye” and can’t see 3D. I first thought macular degeneration but I saw the photo, too and thought lazy eye. My granddaughter had it at age 5 and they gave her glasses to wear. Probably why we see him wearing glasses, huh?

May 6 11:12 AM

Stephanie  says:

I have a lazy eye and had to wear a patch as a kid to correct it. It doesn’t turn in anymore like it used to but I don’t see properly out of it, unless I cover up my good eye it seems like I’m only looking out of one eye. However, I recently got a prescription in my glasses that helps my lazy eye see better. I had no idea why I couldn’t see 3d properly and why it made me kind of sick to my stomach and gave me a headache until I read the Entertainment Weekly article where Johnny said he couldn’t see 3d because of his left eye. It made me curious and I looked it up and apparently people with lazy eyes can’t see 3d properly or sometimes even at all.

Aug 13 6:02 PM

johnny  says:

NO, HE DOESN’T HAVE A LAZY EYE, THEY HAD THE PEOPLE PAINT ONE OF HIS CONTACTS SLIGHTLY OFF SO THAT “HE WOULD NEVER BE LOOKING STRAIGHT AT YOU” OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WATCH A COUPLE OF BEHIND THE SCENES VIDS

Oct 12 8:47 PM

Jewel  says:

A Lazy eye is a weak eye……a wandering eye is when it wanders…so there isn’t a way to see a lazy eye.

Jul 4 8:53 PM

reply:

name *required

mail *will not be published, required

website