Air plants

We’ve told you about terrariums as ornaments and rings that require watering so why not add air plants to the mix? I mean, aside from the fact that telling people you grow air plants (scientific name tillandsia) is an awesome conversation-starter, if you are creative like UNAODD, the blogger behind the skull/air plant wall hanging above, they make for a rad non-traditional decoration. Additionally, air plants are the perfect plant for anyone who has a knack for killing things, because they require almost no water and obviously, no dirt. You can basically stick them on or into anything to add a little green to your life. Here’s a list of 10 ways the folks over at Apartment Therapy displayed their air plants, though I believe that they could learn a thing or two from UNAODD in regards to thinking outside the tiny glass container.

amanda | Apr 5 2010 10:53am | art, garden, air plants, tillandsia | Comments 9

Related Posts

Panty Buns  says:

Those might be perfect for me. I’m so forgetful about watering that I’ve managed to lose almost everything except for some succulents like aloe vera and some ivy.

Apr 5 10:34 AM

Tweets that mention Air plants | PW Style | A blog about style, fashion, beauty, arts and culture by Philadelphia Weekly -- Topsy.com  says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Yancey @YanceyG. Yancey @YanceyG said: Air plants: We’ve told you about terrariums as ornaments and rings that require watering so why not add air plant… http://bit.ly/coN4zY [...]

Apr 5 10:52 AM

THE CURATOR: DIY belts, patchwork poufs and greening the city, one PSA at a time :: Critical Mass :: A&E Blog :: Philadelphia City Paper  says:

[...] to go for the green. But for those who can’t even keep sea monkeys alive, check out PW Style’s report on “air plants.” These shmancy-looking suckers need very little care — just stick ‘em in water once a [...]

Apr 6 1:57 PM

Thyrza Segal  says:

Tillandsias DO need water- they need to be soaked for hours a week when they are in a dry indoor environment… That being said, I LOVE them in the cow skull! They look amazing!
This is how I have been working with tillandsias :

Apr 7 10:14 PM

erin  says:

wow! one of the best display ideas I’ve seen! *sketches in notebook…*

May 5 4:56 PM

Kole Seraiva  says:

As soon as I observed this web site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them. – Any program will expand to fill available memory. Attributed to Laws of Computer Programming

May 3 4:29 PM

insurance  says:

I am glad to become amongst several people on this spectacular website (:, thank you for placing up.

Nov 26 8:56 PM

Motocykle Allegro  says:

Simply want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is just nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

Nov 28 8:34 AM

john  says:

wow! thats some use for a skull, is it a stag?! anyways, yep airplants are fantastic little plants!

Jun 16 12:11 PM

reply:

name *required

mail *will not be published, required

website