Confession: I am a grown girl who, until Sunday, did not know how to properly put on makeup. What is primer? What is the difference between concealer and foundation? Which do I apply first? Umm…how many brushes do I really need? All seems to be basic makeup knowledge for a big girl. But for me, I had so much to learn.
Luckily for me, professional makeup artist Aleksandra Ambrozy taught me all that I need to know for flaw-free makeup application. I showed up to her exclusive makeup workshop looking completely disheveled and honestly,I was kind of embarrassed. My complete and utter lack of proper makeup knowledge was pretty obvious to the other women who attended this event. But no need to fear! Despite the fact that I’m a makeup newbie, Aleksandra was super sweet and gave me all the help I needed in order to get my makeup just right.
Aleksandra taught me and the other ladies three makeup looks: the super-quick but chic daytime look, the glamour look, and the “smokey eye” look. After watching the tutorials, we were off on our own to recreate the makeup looks ourselves. Aleksandra helped us individually step-by-step (in her adorable Polish accent, might I add), and gave us many useful tips for the best and easy application.
Now I feel more confident in getting dolled up without looking like a clown, and it couldn’t have been possible without Aleksandra’s expertise. Here are some of the tips that the makeup guru shared:
1. You can use a balance of high-end and drugstore products. Before the workshop, I only knew how to do the basics: mascara, eyeliner, and eyeshadow. One of the main reasons why I have been hesitant to expand my makeup borders is because quite frankly, makeup is not cheap! Every time I go into Sephora my soul dies because I cannot afford good makeup, especially when I’m in school (hello, I’m a broke college student). Aleksandra uses a great mix of expensive and more affordable products that won’t break the bank, so great makeup looks don’t require lots of mad cash. A surprisingly amazing product? Maybelline’s gel eyeliner. But you can’t get perfectly lined eyes unless you…
2. Use good quality brushes. Aleksandra emphasizes the importance of great application brushes. You can choose a great MAC lipstick, but you have to apply it with an amazing lip brush! Application is everything, and you cannot get the best look possible without the best brushes. In this workshop, I learned how to properly apply foundation with a stippling brush, put on eyeshadow with both flat and blending brushes, and how to dab on on some blush with a small powder brush.
3. Moisturize! You might be able to look perfectly glamourous, but having cakey foundation is never a good look. Be sure to moisturize your face before you apply primer so you can get even makeup coverage.
4. Get a really good eyelash curler. Sure, they kind of look like torture implements, but high quality eyelash curlers totally change the way you do your eye makeup. Using a Shu Uemura eyelash curler was life-changing. Even the other ladies at the workshop planned on stopping by Sephora afterwards to pick up their own! It truly puts my dinky Revlon eyelash curler to shame.
5. Olive oil = makeup remover. Eye makeup can be incredibly stubborn to remove, especially waterproof mascara. Aleksandra suggests that olive oil can be a great alternative when you’re out of makeup remover wipes and can’t run out to the store!
6. Makeup is not meant to cover you up! Don’t be fooled, makeup is not meant to give you a brand new face. Don’t paint on your foundation; makeup is meant to enhance your natural beauty, and Alekandra will give you personalized tips to ensure the best makeup looks that will suit you.
Aleksandra’s workshop is truly an experience. Even though makeup can seem a bit daunting, Aleksandra created a warm and comfortable ambiance that made me feel right at home. And honestly, how can a girl turn down a makeup day complimented with hors d’oeuvres and mimosas? Aleksandra also takes bridal makeup appointments, so if you are a bride-to-be who wants to look extra chic on your special day, Aleksandra can enhance your blushing bride beauty with her on-location services.
~ Jennifer Nguyen