Bipolar Disorder Saves Woman From NZ Pokey

Dec 2 2011 | Comments 41

andrea phipps
You know what I like about New Zealand (aside from the fact that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed there)? I like that their courts prosecute “dishonesty.” In the States, we have all kinds of legal jargon. New Zealand doesn’t go in for that.

Take the case of Andrea Phipps, who just got home arrest instead of jail time because she blamed her actions on her bipolar disorder. Here’s what the Press of New Zealand had to say about her case:

Phipps, who has 72 previous convictions for dishonesty and has served a series of jail terms, including a term for attempted murder, had committed a further 20 offences over a four-year period.

She had previously pleaded guilty to ripping off two finance companies, filling out false loan applications in the name of her mother-in-law to get money for a boat and a car, which were later sold. She repeatedly bought time by issuing bad cheques including one to a solicitor.

She then faxed the solicitor’s receipt for that cheque to a finance company as proof that payment was on its way, which caused further losses when the car involved was released for sale before the cheque was dishonoured.

Phipps befriended a neighbour and found out her PIN when they went shopping. Then she took the woman’s bankcard and withdrew thousands of dollars.

She took cheques from her employers and used them pay a phone bill and a motel bill.

She paid a friend for a cheque for $28.18 and then altered it to $2801.18 and used it for a payment on a tenancy.

She used false documents to apply for jobs – two of them involving airport security clearance, which resulted in more charges today.

Her lawyer suggested that her feelings of grandeur from her “genuine illness” caused the latest bout of “dishonesty” and that she’s actually quite honest when she’s taking medication.

According to the Canterbury Star, the judge told her:

“This was a gross breach of trust in relation to friends, employers and authorities. The level of premeditation and deception was very high.

“You claim to have little memory of your offending, which I find hard to believe. You say that when you’re stressed, you turn to crime. I know a number of people who suffer from the same illness and they certainly don’t turn to crime as you do.

“You have 72 previous convictions for dishonesty. It is thought your mental state was a factor in some of your offending, and I agree.

“But for your mental health issues, a full-time custodial sentence would have been appropriate.”

Cases like this present a difficult challenge for mental health advocates. On the one hand, it’s frustrating to hear about people like this and have their illness associated with bad deeds. There are plenty of us with bipolar disorder who are not fraudsters, and it just sullies the image of people with mental health when stories like this are published.

On the other hand, what if she is being (uncharacteristically) honest about her diagnosis and really was impelled to do these things as a result of her symptoms? In that case, we’d certainly want her to be treated with sensitivity and not just consigned to a criminal justice system if that’s not what’s best for her.

Thoughts?

liz | 11:04 AM | bipolar disorder, criminal justice system, andrea phipps, new zealand crime

kelly Says:

i think maybe you should get her side of the story in court you only get to hear a wee bit
not the whole lot i think its UN far of you to say this person should go to jail i think you need to get a life and stop wrightn thing you don’t no anything about and i don’t know how any one could even say anything about this case with out all the fact

Feb 16 2:18 AM

TRACY Says:

Today I received this link. Firstly Kelly before you slam this write up you should know some home truths about this women. She poured petrol through her boyfriends house after stealing $168000 “Andrea Phipps tried to drug her lover, Darryl French, then burn him to death as he slept

Darryl French felt a familiar chill of horror as he read a newspaper article and learned that his former lover Andrea Phipps had been jailed for two years on 70 dishonesty charges”.

I dont care what illness she has she still know’s right from wrong.

Or try moving to Australia to stay with friends because you told them you have cancer ( You may ask how did she get out of and into Austraila i am asking myself the same thing. But it didn’t stop there try stealing $9000 from these friend and then doing a runner because her mother had died That was lies too.

This person should be locked up and NEVER BE ALOUD OUT IN THE PUBLIC.

Mar 11 9:24 PM

Linda Says:

She knew what she was doing where is the justice? Should be locked up!

Mar 11 9:53 PM

darryl Says:

not to forget the husband of said women who travelled to australia on the money this woman stole from australian friends(30 odd year friendship in fact)maybe he is the motivater in her crimes hard to believe that he didnt know something was going on and that she wasnt an honest person as i believe he was a prison warden when his now wife was doing time just a thought thats all

Mar 11 11:28 PM

Fleur Says:

There are millions of people in the world with bipolar who manage to live a happy hard working life without ripping people off. Then you get someone like this who says “poor me poor me”, well what about the people who she has stolen off. She know right from wrong, No excuses, She is clever enough to hold down a job. I wonder about all the fraudulent activity she has done that she has not been caught for!!! The is a criminal hiding behind the illness.

Mar 12 12:02 AM

Sally Says:

You guys need to get a live and need to hear her side of the story do you really know what triggers Bi Polar,. hear the whole story before you judge

Apr 1 4:19 PM

Margery Sequeira Says:

Great list of Go Daddy Promo Codes, I think they are the very best not much too long ago they did a .com offer for $1 I got one particular for myself and a bundle load for my good friends.

May 9 6:01 PM

Kent Hitchcock Says:

Nntp ’s been around for the quite a while. It truly is even over the age of the entire world wide web- precisely what nearly everyone knows as being the

Jun 4 9:50 PM

total real Says:

I think I will change to this blogengine system as it really is a ton nicer than mine….

It frequently is amazing to me exactly how blog owners for example yourself can find the time plus the dedication to carry on composing remarkable blogposts. Your blog isgood and one of my own have to read blogs and forums. I simply wished to say thank…

Jun 9 11:09 PM

electronic cigarette buy Says:

this is the way i feel lyrics walls

Jun 15 9:35 PM

Moshe Farino Says:

free credit scores without membership

Jun 24 7:07 AM

Anja Matkovic Says:

300 workout free supplements

Jun 29 6:06 PM

hot songs Says:

Hi Nice wewebsite. Would you like to guest post on mine sometime? If that’s the case make sure you tell me via email or simply reply to this comment simply due to the fact My partner and my spouse and i actually subscribed to notifications and definately will realize should you choose.

Jun 30 1:30 PM

san diego accident attorneys Says:

get down with the sickness lyrics

Jul 6 1:09 PM

san diego accident attorneys Says:

pepe jean london tee shirt

Jul 6 5:18 PM

Romelia Chrest Says:

When I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any method you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

Jul 19 2:43 PM

Xenia Stenerson Says:

I in addition to my guys ended up digesting the nice procedures found on your web blog while instantly came up with a terrible suspicion I never thanked the site owner for those tips. All the young boys appeared to be consequently happy to read through them and now have extremely been taking advantage of these things. Appreciation for indeed being simply helpful and also for opting for varieties of beneficial tips millions of individuals are really desperate to be aware of. My very own honest apologies for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

Aug 13 6:52 PM

hurtiglån Says:

Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.

Oct 28 8:11 PM

lån online Says:

fantastic put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don’t realize this. You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

Nov 2 12:20 PM

hurtiglån Says:

A person essentially help to make critically articles I might state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular post amazing. Wonderful task!

Nov 6 1:16 PM

Nada Ewers Says:

I’m tired from the talk of “Randy Edsall took UConn to the BCS bowl.” UConn was also ranked within the major 25 ZERO times during the 12ish weeks of that regular season. Edsall’s groups engage in great defense and horrible offense. That functions when you are during the Huge East and you already know that Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt are all about to do precisely the same factor.

Nov 7 4:50 PM

Volume Pills before and after Says:

It is ok to research the Web for post suggestions, but it is not okay to copy word-for-word of any post. Paraphrasing may also be classified as plagiarism. Be original.

Nov 15 3:11 AM

Merry Christmas Says:

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Nov 27 12:30 AM

double dee deals Says:

I like this website so much, saved to favorites. “I don’t care what is written about me so long as it isn’t true.” by Dorothy Parker.

Dec 1 12:18 PM

ego e cigaret Says:

hi!,I love your writing so a lot! proportion we keep up a correspondence more approximately your post on AOL? I require a specialist on this house to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking forward to peer you.

Dec 3 2:23 PM

go through Says:

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! “Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.” by Aristotle.

Dec 4 9:12 AM

kvik lån Says:

whoah this blog is wonderful i love studying your articles. Keep up the good work! You already know, many persons are looking round for this info, you can help them greatly.

Dec 4 2:00 PM

Austin entrepreneur Says:

Perfectly written content, Really enjoyed reading through.

Dec 16 10:43 PM

e cigaret væske Says:

I will right away take hold of your rss feed as I can’t find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me realize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Dec 18 10:50 AM

VOILALAMODE Says:

You are my aspiration, I own few web logs and often run out from post :) . “Yet do I fear thy nature It is too full o’ the milk of human kindness.” by William Shakespeare.

Jan 1 2:40 PM

Lynnette Osterdyk Says:

I carry on listening towards the newscast lecture about getting boundless on the internet grant apps so I’ve been hunting all-around towards the very best internet site to get one particular. Could you advise me please, in which could i acquire some?

Jan 26 5:56 AM

Long Greenhaw Says:

What a great web log.

Feb 17 11:13 AM

Arlie Martini Says:

Needed that little story, thanks a bunch for the blog!

Mar 2 2:43 PM

Lucien Mcgeachy Says:

attractive inspiring collection.wonderful created designs here!Thanks for sharing.

Apr 13 10:05 PM

brett lindsay Says:

i wonder if shes related to kelly phipps of papakura she has lied and been dishonist , to the point off her ex husband wanting to commit suicide

Apr 14 1:19 AM

billig e cigaret Says:

certainly like your web site however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I¡¦ll surely come back again.

May 5 3:56 AM

e cigaret nikotin Says:

It is truly a nice and helpful piece of information. I¡¦m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

May 10 4:56 AM

e cigaret Says:

Whats Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other customers like its aided me. Great job.

May 13 12:04 PM

e cigaret Says:

Gavekort is the Danish term for present certificate, it’s a greeting card you get as a present or perhaps win and may use almost anywhere in their network of websites, gavekort are the method to a more comfortable life, many people think of these as fraud, but believe us you can win and also save thousands of dollars chasing the particular free gift certificates.

May 15 5:22 AM

billig e cigaret Says:

I i never thought about the subject in the way you do, this gives it all a new perspective that makes 1 wonder in the event that there are more in between heaven and earth that certain would believe, thanks for the enter and keep all of them comming, I will watch and read every time for sure!

May 19 9:42 PM

e cigaret Says:

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this article is amazing, great written and include approximately all important infos. I would like to see extra posts like this .

May 28 12:49 AM